Contact info

You can contact me at dazdnlst@gmail.com. I welcome comments, suggestions or feedback!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Ghetto I Spy Blanket

I am not a sew-er.  I know the basics but the sewing machine just terrifies me...I dont know why. 

I LOVE all the I spy blankets and wanted to try one for my boys.  So, what to do?

I have been playing with Heat and Bond for a while now and thought, hey, let's give that a try!

So, without further ado....my Ghetto I spy blanket.

Supplies:
Different fabrics cut in 5 inch squares
Heat and Bond
1 yard of fabric solid print
1 yard of fun, soft, fabric in pattern


To brainstorm my blanket I cut 24 little squares of paper and wrote on the squares the pattern and the color of the fabrics I had.  Then I was able to adjust and move the squares to where I thought they looked best.

Once I had my plan, I pulled out the 12 pieces of fabric in varying prints. I had a lot of animals and music themed fabrics.  I cut two squares of each fabric into a 5 inch square.

Next I ironed them onto heat and bond following the instructions. ** In hindsite probably would have been best to iron them onto the heat and bond and THEN cut the squares. Eliminates the ends fraying**

Now to prepre to main blanket  Lay the two fabrics on top of each other and trim the edges so that they are the same size.

Take your solid print fabric and lay it flat on a table.  Take your prepared squares and following your paper diagram lay out the squares (another idea if you are a visial person, lay out the squares on the fabric and move them around until you get them where you like them)

Now iron your heart out!

I found that it was best to do a row at time.

Next post will be the final steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...